The first Wade's Store began operation in 1925 in Alum Ridge, Va. This typical country mercantile was owned and operated by Haden and Elinor Wade in this location and a subsequent location across the street until 1940. At that time, the Wades and their two children, Lowell and Freda, moved to Christiansburg leaving the management of Wade's Store to Mr. Dennis Dulaney. Haden and Elinor pursued various business interests during the next ten years, among them operating a small restaurant and a furniture store. In 1950 the Wades returned to the grocery business with the opening of Wade's Supermarket at 305 Roanoke Street in Christiansburg (present location of Federal Express). This store was one of the first grocery stores in the area to carry a line of health and beauty aids, household hardware, AND soft goods -- thus the name "Supermarket." In 1961, the Wades sold their original store in Alum Ridge to Dennis Dulaney.
In 1968 the store in Christiansburg moved to it's present location at 510 Roanoke Street, expanding its services to include a deli department.
Because Wade's is a local, independent, family owned business, we can readily adapt to our customers' needs. We gladly take suggestions from our customers and endeavor to act on them whenever possible. We value our customers, and pride ourselves in our ability to offer friendly, personalized service. We take pride in the communities we serve and involve ourselves in community events whenever we can. With the continued support of our most important asset, our customers, Wade's will continue to be your locally owned friendly place to shop into our fourth generation.